Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Breaking Open a Geode

I have a geode-themed entry this time!  (One of my favorites!)  Specifically, opening geodes.  The trick is not to shatter it and to get as clean a cut as possible.  To show you an example, I bought a break-your-own geode and took some photos as I broke it open.

The first images are me (and my funny-looking safety goggles!) and my dad, TRYING to get the geode open with the Dremel.  Most common geodes are about a 7 on Moh's hardness scale, like quartz, agate and amethyst.  But it matters even more how dense it is, because it is really hard to open a geode of solid quartz with a thin, metal blade.  Since diamond is a 10 on the hardness scale, people use diamond-edged cutters to slice really hard materials, like blocks of steel. 

We couldn't cut through the geode with the Dremel, so we scored it as much as we could with the Dremel, hoping it would be enough.  Then, we took a risk:  "the hammer job!"  We hacked away with our hammer.  The first couple whacks didn't even leave an impression.  I could have thrown it at the ground all day, and it wouldn't have done anything.  But finally, we got it open, and it was a fairly clean cut all the way through.

When I looked inside, I realized it had been worth the trouble - a milky, blue agate crystal, but nothing else.  Just solid crystal.  I was pleased.

Not all geodes are that hard to open; I just decided to get a really heavy one. Try to get a geode that's a little heavy for it's size, but not too heavy.  If you want a nice geode that you'll be satisfied with, I recommend an average weight geode, so it isn't pitiful, with three microscopic crystals inside (those do exist, by the way!).  Also, don't get one that's very heavy, or it will take hours to open, and you risk shattering it.

There are two ways that geodes are formed: volcanic and mineral-formed.  The volcanic is made up of igneous rock that formed and air pocket before it solidified, and crystals grew inside of it.  The mineral-formed geodes are normally quartz and agate - also created in air pockets - but with the help of water.  Air pockets are first formed by the water flowing through the ground through erosion.  An empty, hollow space is made.  Over time, minerals build up from the water flowing as they are filted by the rock around the air pocket.  They build up inside and form crystals.  I haven't learned yet how to tell which was a geode has been formed by just looking at it.  I do know that it takes a much longer time to make large crystals.

Below is an image of some other geodes in my collection.


Clockwise from Top Left: Quartz, Calcite, Amethyst, Thunder Egg


4 comments:

  1. Josh, thank you for sharing! I have seen geodes in various stores (at the Red River Gorge) but I had no idea how to open one or how difficult it can be. Where do you buy your geodes from? And do you have a beginning book that you recommend for a family that doesn't know ANYTHING about geodes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information, Thanks Josh! (Love the pictures by the way!)
    My son would LOVE to read this and try to break open a geode. Where can we find one??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can purchase a geode for a fairly cheap price at the Museum Center store. There are also break open your own geodes at the Nature's Trading Post - you bring your own nature to trade for points, that you use to get the geodes. I've heard there is a local place to find geodes near greater Cincinnati but I haven't found it yet. So when I do, I'll keep you updated. Maybe look at Nature's Trading Post for a book too. I don't know of one but I'm sure there is one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that every other Great River Friday, I might bring some rocks to display. With your younger children, they can touch them, but ask them to be careful. Some can be fragile and some are really sharp, which can hurt the children.

    ReplyDelete